With over 30 years of experience in the hair industry, Michael Van Clarke is well known for his trademark Diamond Dry Cut, where the hair is cut clean and dry. Michael claims this method allows him to work better with the hair’s natural movement and texture, and to complement face shapes.
Recently Michael told us his favourite hair look is a classic one. He says that, although general fashion styles come and go several times a year, in the hair world major changes is very often not seasonal.
His top top ten anti-ageing tips for hair are..
1. Throw away your dryer nozzle: Unless you have thick, wavy hair that you need todry dead straight, your nozzle concentrates heat unnecessarily and canlead to excessive damage. Try to keep a one-inch gap between your hair and the end of the dryer.
2. Always use conditioner: Shampoos open the surface cuticle to clean, while conditioners reseal the cuticle for protection, shine and comb-ability.
3. Use a professional, saw-cut comb: Moulded plastic combs can often have imperfections on the teeth, which can lacerate the surface cuticle and age hair prematurely.
4. Use a deep treatment at least once a week
5. Trim ends regularly: make sure you trim your ends every 3-8 weeks depending on length and style. As the ends deteriorate, they look tired and unattractive, and any splitting can travel up the hair shaft if not caught in time.
6. Do not over-brush hair: When hair is wet, use awide-tooth comb to gently ease out knots from the ends first, working up to the roots. And don’t believe the myth of brushing hair 100 times before bedtime. Once it’s brushed, further friction just wears it out more quickly.
7. Always protect your hair in the sun: Hat or scarves are best, and protective treatments come second. The UV rays ofthe sun break down the molecular structure of hair and, unlike skin, it doesn’trecover its appearance within a few weeks. Long hair can take years to renew.
8. Colour your hair professionally: Choose a colourist who cares about condition and quality, and uses the mostup-to-date products. Modern tints are much gentler on the hair.
9. Choose a good stylist: The right haircut, well executed, can save you 95% of the time you may spend styling your hair.
10. Use a little light wax or moisturising cream on dry ends: This will protect hair and keep it looking and feeling healthier.